In partnership with Northern Health, TR CARES, located in Tumbler Ridge, BC, runs a free medical travel service. We can meet the Northern Health bus in Chetwynd and Dawson Creek for travel-related transport. Due to schedule changes of the bus, you can discuss what days the van is available during the return phone call from the booking person.
TR CARES also takes Tumbler Ridge residents to Dawson Creek up to two times per week, and Fort St. John once per month, for medical appointments. The service is only for people who are travelling for medical reasons. Currently Dawson Creek appointments can be booked for Mondays and Thursdays (this is subject to change). TR CARES can be booked for in-town medical transport to and from the health centre or pharmacy, if the van is in town and available.
You are required to wear a mask when you are inside the van.
Book your trip
- Call 250-242-7444. Messages are checked every day; someone will get back to you. We require 24 hours notice minimum, but the more time you give us, the better. It is a message-only line and is not answered at the time of your call. Please provide as much information as you can on your message. It will make the booking process quicker and more efficient.
- Please do not call drivers directly. All information must go through the booking person at the phone number listed.
- Please have your Care Card or BC Services Card and the date, time and address of your appointment available. We will ask you for your home address and phone number for the driver to get you to and from your home. If you have a cell phone, please bring it with you so you can maintain contact with the driver when needed.
- This service is free.
Pickup and drop-off
- We provide door-to-door service between your home and your medical appointment.
- The van leaves Tumbler Ridge at the earliest by 8 am, depending on the time of passengers’ appointments. Often you are one of multiple passengers and will be travelling according to the earliest appointment and the latest appointment, when required.
- To make the program efficient, we schedule up to six appointments on the same day.
- The time of your appointment may mean that you have to wait most of the day before returning.
- For Dawson Creek trips, your appointments must be no earlier than 10 am and must be complete by 3 pm. For Fort St. John trips, your appointments must be no earlier than 11 am and must be complete by 2 pm. We cannot be on the road before or after those times.
- There may be optional pickups at malls so passengers have something to do while they wait. Please limit your shopping to one bag.
- The driver may also make stops so that passengers can get prescriptions or other medical supplies.
Who can use TR CARES?
TR CARES schedules up to six passengers for each trip. Tumbler Ridge residents can use the program if they;
- Are British Columbia residents with valid BC Care Cards or BC Services Cards;
- Don’t need medical care during transportation;
- Are traveling for a physician-referred medical service or for a health care service not available Tumbler Ridge and/or have been transported to Dawson Creek or Chetwynd hospital by ambulance and wish to use the service to return home during its regularly scheduled weekly trip.
© 2023 Northern Health